Sunday 7 February 2010

I recently encountered a man who is difficult, obnoxious and downright rude. Nothing is good unless it comes from him. He has no respect for people in authority, believes only in himself and knows how to use his pen or shall I say computer keyboard as a poisonous dart. He says things with the intention of hurting others.

But I will not be doing myself and my age any favours if I pretend not to have seen his kind. I’m sure you have too. I don’t know what your first instinct is when faced with such characters. Being only human, mine is often to protect myself when attacked. Like the Hulk, I find myself thinking “Don’t make me angry. You won’t like me when I’m angry!” But my intelligence overrides any tit for tat actions I sometimes feel like taking, for which I thank God.

I don’t know who said that “Holding a grudge against someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die”. How true! I have learnt not to hold grudges because it gives me skin pain. What’s more, while I’m there seething with anger, the perpetrator might be relaxing at home quaffing beer, unaware that I’m seething.

No, I value my life and my sanity. And I don’t want to age before my time or even when it is my time to do so. That’s why I smile more than I frown; dance whenever I can, even in my kitchen while I cook and often see every cup as half full – even if there is just a drop in the bottom. Believe me, if you say that it is half full, then it really is!

Yep, like my late father used to say, “My shoulders are broad enough.”

Finally, I thank God that I am not married to this guy! His home life must suck!!

No comments: